There are a lot of reasons people need lawyers every year. If you need to find an attorney, you may not know where to turn. If you are looking for a family law attorney in Kings County Ca, here are some tips to help you do just that.
Decide what you need. There are a lot of reasons to seek out the help of a family law attorney in Kings County Ca. The reasons you need to get legal help will be a big factor in what kind of lawyer you need. Just like doctors specialize, so do lawyers. If you need a lawyer who handles elder abuse, that is something very different than going to a lawyer who handles custody cases. Your first task is to decide what you need and what kind of lawyer will be the best to help you with your case.
1. Talk to the people you know. We live in a litigious society. If you ask around for a family law attorney in Kings County Ca, you may be surprised to learn that either someone you know has used one or someone who someone you know has used one. It is important to start your search with the people you know and trust. Talk to your friends and your family. Most of the time, if you are dealing with family law issues you need to restrict your search to local attorneys. The lawyer who helped your cousin in Florida will not help if you need a family law attorney in Kings County Ca. Make that clear when you are talking to the people in your life. You may end up using a different lawyer from your friend or family member because all cases are different but this can get your started in the right direction.
2. Talk to professional associations. You can visit the American Bar Association websiteandnbsp;or Nolo.com. Both will have resources and information about family law attorney in Kings County Ca. They may have information about any disciplinary actions that were taken against the attorneys you are looking into.
3. Look online. Look to other online sites. Many cities, towns and localities have Facebook groups that have been set up to promote local goods and services. Sites like Yelp have reviews for a host of businesses. You should be careful when you are looking at a lot of comments by anonymous posters. Psychologists say that people are more likely to complain than to compliment so if you see a lot of complaints with no name attached, you should take them all with a grain of salt. Something else may be going on there.
4. Meet with several attorneys. When people think about how to choose an attorney, one important part is the first consultation. All law firms offer a free first time consultation to prospective clients. Take advantage of that. Go in and spend some time with the lawyers. When you are talking about family law issues, they are very personal and you are going to have to trust the person and the firm so you should be comfortable talking to them. If that is not the case, you should go someplace else.
5. Ask the right questions. Here are some of the questions you should ask:
- What made you go into this kind of law?
- How long have you been practicing this kind of law?
- What percentage of your practice is devoted to this?
- What is your billing structure like? How much should I expect to pay?
6. Talk to at least three law firms. When you are looking for a lawyer, it can be tempting to go with the first law firm you talk to. Resist that urge. You need to go to the best lawyer for your case. This takes some time, effort and energy but you need to know what your options are before you go with one law firm or another. The first lawyer you talk to may end up being the one you hire but you will not know you have the right one unless you talk to a few others first.
Put in the time and you will find the right lawyer for your situation.
Latest posts by Legal Newsletter (see all)
- Signs You Need to Hire a Disability Attorney - August 5, 2022
- When Life Gives You Lemons, Check The Law - July 28, 2022
- What to Look for When Hiring an Estate Planning Attorney - May 24, 2022