Did you know that, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there are at least 5.5 million U.S. car crashes per year, and AAA reveals that an injury-only auto accident can cost as much as $126,000? Auto accidents can result in mounds of debt, injury, trauma, or sometimes even death. When are you most likely to get an in an accident, and what should drivers do in the event of a crash?
Identify High-Risk Scenarios
Seven out of 10 Americans talk on the phone while driving at least once per month, and an alarming 33% regularly answer texts and/or e-mails, according to the 2013 Traffic Safety Culture Index. How risky are these behaviors, and what are some similarly troubling scenarios?
- Texting behind the wheel increases the likelihood of auto accidents by as much as 23%. Distracted driving is, in fact, the third leading cause of all crashes and collisions, behind only drunk driving (the leading cause) and speeding.
- Frequenting urban areas. Drivers are much more likely to crash in densely populated areas. On average, Americans nation-wide get in an auto accident once every 10 years. By comparison, Washington, D.C. drivers crash once every 4.8 years, according to the NHTSA.
What Should You Do After a Car Accident?
Accidents happen, and it is important to know what to do, and what not to do, in the event of a crash. All drivers should address safety first. If you, or any other party, sustain any injuries during the crash, call 911. Americans should also contact the police to file an accident report, and speak to an insurance agent. Vice president of project management at The General insurance company, Steve Frisina, reminds drivers, “There should be not admission of fault on either side but just an exchange of details — it’s the adjuster’s job to get the information from the individuals.”
To ensure a fair settlement with the insurance company, it is always a good idea to contact an auto injury firm and auto accident injury attorneys. A truck accident law firm may be best if you drive a tractor trailer, truck, or similarly large vehicle.
Given enough time, auto accidents are inevitable. Avoid high-risk situations, but – when an accident occurs – make sure to contact the proper authorities and get fair representation from an auto accident or truck accident law firm.
To see more, read this: gatewaylawyers.com
Latest posts by Legal Newsletter (see all)
- The Various Licensed Practices of Law and Their Purposes - November 18, 2022
- The Legal Fundamentals of Running a Business in the U.S. - November 7, 2022
- Understanding the Fire Sprinkler Training and Inspection Process - November 7, 2022