The United States construction industry is very important to the American and global economy. It was estimated to be work about $1.16 billion in 2016. There are a lot of complicated legal issues that come up in building projects. The American Arbitration Association reported that, in 2015, it had worked on about 550 cases in the construction industry. The biggest construction case they mediated resulted in a settlement of $2.6 million and the largest arbitration case ended with a settlement of $96 million.
These are large numbers and if you have an issue, you may want to talk to a qualified, construction lawyer. You may not know where to turn, these tips should help:
- Talk to people you know who work in the industry. If you have been working in the construction industry for any length of time, the chances are good that someone you know has had to work with a construction attorney. Whether you are a business owner, own a contracting company, or are a construction worker on the job, you may find yourself needing to talk to a construction law firm. The best recommendations from your friends and coworkers can be very helpful.
- Make sure you are talking to the right kinds of lawyers. There are a number of different kinds of lawyers out there. Medical doctors specialize and so do legal professionals. The great attorney who handled your brother’s divorce will not be able to help you with your construction issue. When you ask for recommendations, do not just ask if the people you know have worked with a law firm, make sure the people they worked with attorneys who deal with construction issues.
- Look for a construction lawyer with a lot of experience. You need the attorney you hire to have a lot of experience working with the building industry. They need to be fulled versed in all aspects of construction law and the building process. The more experience they have, the better they will be able to work with you on your case or to make your projects run smoothly. If and when problems arise on your job sites, you can experience delays in your projects, which can cost your business a lot of money.
- Go with a legal professional who is professional and also pragmatic. The focus of your construction lawyer should be the completion of the project either on time or early. This person should be able to monitor what is happening and keep you apprised of any issues that come up, and be on the lookout for potential issues. For workers who need a construction attorney, the person needs to understand what the rules and regulations are in place to keep people working on building sites safe while on the job.
- You need a local law firm. The laws governing building and construction are different in different places. You have federal laws to look at as well as state or city rules and regulations. You need to hire a law firm that understands what rules and regulations apply in the city or state you are working in. Not knowing what laws the local city council or county commission has passed that deal with local building and construction can result in costly delays.
- Hire a law firm with a good reputation and contacts in the local construction industry. There are a lot of people who work on building projects. There are architects, surveyors, contractors, insurance carriers, and engineers. You also have to make sure any investors are kept in the loop. Good construction law firms will have a lot of connections with these other professionals. This can make everything go smoother for your projects and give your shareholders more peace of mind. For workers looking for legal representation, having well-connected people on your side will help you.
Whether you are a construction company owner or you work for one, having the right construction lawyer by your side can be very helpful. For business owners, this is an essential part of doing business. If you are a worker, you may only need one if problems come up. Either way, these tips will help you.